Friday, March 18, 2011

Manchester United Review, Lehman, Djourou, and Vermaelen

Sigh.
    
     Happy Saint Patricks Day all.

     First off, I have to start with an apology. I've been extremely busy lately and have not had any time to write up a post. But it's here now, despite the shitiness of it.

     The match happened a couple days ago, and this time I didn't take notes, so I don't exactly remember the details too clearly, so I'm just going to skip the player ratings for today, and a very quick review.

     What a shit performance. We started out with this lineup-

                     van Persie

    Arshavin                         Nasri

                      Wilshere

              Denilson      Diaby

Gibbs    Koscielny    Djourou    Sagna

                       Almunia

     First of all, I was infuriated that Denilson and Diaby started. We used the same midfield combination against Sunderland last week, and while we were camped in Sunderlands half, we didn't penetrate.
     And it was the same against United. Why Wenger would try something that didn't work last time out and then try it in a match of such importance is beyond me.

     United meanwhile put out an experimental and cheeky starting XI, with seven defenders:

          Rooney Chicharito

  Rafael                        Fabio
           Gibson    O'Shea

Evra     Vidic    Smalling    Brown

                van der Saar

     Berbatov wasn't picked, so all my hard work for the preview went down the drain. Brilliant.

     Anyway, I'm not going to go into great detail, but we started well. Our passing was good and we seemed a bit confident, despite the fact we couldn't fashion any real chances.
     As you can imagine, United did go forward at times, and the main threats were Rafael and Fabio. The two Brazilians were kinetic and went forward with pleasure. As a result, we were caught on the break with their pace, and they scored.
     Rooney made an inch perfect pass to Chicharito into the box, and his powerful header was saved by Almunia but put right into the path of Fabio, who got there before Koscielny.
     I don't think Almunia did much wrong there, it was a good header and you couldn't have expected him to hold onto the shot. Koscielny on the other hand, I'm disappointed with him. While it rarely happens, defenders are always supposed to get to stray ball in the box first. He didn't and as a result we were on the back foot at Old Trafford.

     So half time came and van Persie had some chances,but none of them clear cut. We weren't penetrating enough, but that was fairly understandable; it's tough enough playing against the best defender in the Premier League, but even tougher to play against him and six other defenders.

     After half time I expected a new Arsenal side, one that penetrated more and created more chances. Right off the bat, United scored again via Rooney. Gibbs's "defending" looked like that of a school boys which lead to Rooney's goal. So frustrating, in simplest terms.

     Ramsey, Chamakh, and Rosicky came on and Ramsey and Chamakh had an immediate effect. Chamakh had the best chance of the game but couldn't find the back of the net. But credit to van der Saar: he was brilliant.
     It was also fantastic to see Ramsey back. It was also kind of weird to see him too in all honesty.

     Then disaster struck. United hit us on the counter and in a desperate attempt to clear the ball Sagna ran through Djourou's arm, and as a result Djourou will be injured for the rest of the season. Fuck off. Bollocks. he fractured his collar bone (I believe). On the poll I had on the site a couple of weeks ago asking who our most important player was after Cesc, I picked Djourou. This now means that either Squillaci or Miquel plays in his position. I want Miquel, because we all know the quality of the partnership Squillaci and Koscielny have.
     But while I thought it just wasn't our day, we didn't penetrate enough, and there wasn't the urgency and drive you'd expect from a side trailing in the quarter-final of the FA Cup.

     Some bullet points:
  • Denilson was shit, he must leave he does not have the quality to play with a side of Arsenal's caliber.
  • Wilshere shouldn't play in the creative role just yet; its too early.
  • We are wasting Nasri on the right hand side. Put him in the middle!
     That performance really raised my eyebrows along with the rest of the footballing community. Three trophies gone in two weeks. I would've been okay with losing the Champions League to Barcelona and the FA Cup to United, but our performance against United was shameful. The Carling Cup meanwhile was a total unlucky fuck up and I'm not even going to dwell on it.

     I've heard some say they want Wenger out. You're mental. He's the only person I want to manage Arsenal and I truly fear the day he retires.
     And I know many have said this before me, but I'm going to beat the matter to death. While Wenger's philosophy is brilliant and exciting and near perfect, there is nothing to show for it. I do not want him to change his entire philosophy, but I want him to tweak it a little bit. His common quotes are "good spirit" or "great character", but lately it just hasn't shown. I think he as a manager can successfully rile up a side and manage a side to the required mental levels, but I also think that a vociferous, experienced player must come to us in the transfer window. I don't care if he costs 40 or 50 million. It could bring us trophies. Scratch that; it WILL bring us trophies.

     Speaking of experienced, crazy footballers, meet Jens Lehmann.


"I swear ref, I didn't throw his boot on top of the net!"
      One of the greatest things we have done this entire season has been signing him. He's been brought in under the emergency keeper rule and will stay with us until the end of the season. He is exactly the tonic we need for our woes. A nice spanking I think he'll give the squad in the dressing room at half time, to propel us to victory and eventually the Premier League. Get in!
     As you can see I am very happy having him at the club. This weekend he will make the bench and Almunia will start (undoubtedly).

     Speaking of the weekend, I sadly will not be able to catch the game, so I'm not sure what I am going to do about my review of the match.
     Regarding a preview, I will do my very best to get it up.

     Also, bad news for you. Vermaelen has been formally ruled out for the rest of the season, which I saw coming quite a while ago. Whats even more disappointing is that Arsene said that he never expected Vermaelen to be fit before the end of the season, which would contradict all the things he has said before.
     I just think Arsene worded it wrong. I think that the medical team said he'd be back eventually, but subliminally Arsene knew the it would take a while for Vermaelen to be match fit and fully recover. Lovely.

     That's that. Once again, sorry for the lateness of the post and the celerity of it. I've been as busy as John Terry's ass hole so I'm trying my best guys.
     You're support is appreciated, and don't forget to comment!
     Cheers.

3 comments:

  1. Howdy CM10 and all,
    It's sure good to have a new post and just generally move on from the last couple of weeks disappointments. Will this week be any better, who knows? Good job on the recap as an old timer (I started listening to Arsenal games on CBC shortwave (a tube set at that if you even know what one is) I've had the chance to experience different managers and styles of play. We used to be boring,boring Arsenal a tough physical team that could win the ball back but could do little else with it.
    Now we have oodles of passing and possession but can do very little with it. The problem I think is lack of pace in the side especially on the flanks. No Theo means teams press up higher not worrying about the counter.
    Now, here's my Wenger comment. The tactics employed last week by Manu were the same as those used by Barca,Birmingham,Shaktar,Braga and half a dozen other sides. If other teams can prevent our plan "A" then we need a plan "B". Granted with the kind of players we have a mostly creative but small side that isn't easy. Still, it MUST be done if we're going to win something this year. Our current manager has no plan "B" and seemingly no plan for one.
    I have no complaints about who he has or hasn't signed,his philosophy of football or his stubbornness which can also be interpreted as focus and singleness of purpose.But if what you're doing isn't working you must try something else. I think that's fair a enough criticism without going over the top.
    Hope the folks in Honshu are fine. Where I am on the West Coast we had plenty of property damage at the Yacht harbor from 4-5' Tsunami waves but fortunately no serious injuries. We are however experiencing an increase of radiation. And have been advised that if we do not need to go out during this coming storm front to stay in. If you need/want help with the preview you have my e-mail and can contact me there. Remember there is a 3 hour difference between us so if I don't get right back I'm probably at work. (Reading footie blogs!) Later Dude,
    Lefty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lefty, why don't you have a blog? Seems like you should get one. And i'm not saying that in the manner of "I don't want him commenting on my site anymore".
    Also, if you could help me out with the blog when I am very busy it would be great. What is your e-mail?
    Chris M10

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, good one dude..

    What I noticed about the match was none of the central midfielders were in the box while they scored. I accept Wilshere who was playing in an advanced position tracked back quicker than the other two.

    I can even accept Diaby who atleast ventured forward but for Denilson, he hardly passes a ball forward. Why does he deserve a place in Squad. Only Wenger knows.

    About Diaby, he's no Viera! Stop dreamin guys!!!
    If Song played he would not have let either goals. I find, Song to be only person who cant be replaced.

    ReplyDelete