Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Mid-Summer Transfer Round-up - Denilson to Eboue

     Today is July 5th, and the summer is about halfway over. Due to Arsenal's poor season, Arsene Wenger has been stressed to make new signings, but it's also important to let go of some players who give little to the side, and keep the players that are our prized assets.
     I'll be addressing all of our own player's transfer situations in alphabetical order. There are exactly 31 players in our first team, so I'll do five players per post. Today, I start with Denilson.






6.  Denilson - 

     I don't think I'm the only one to say that Denilson has had a very, very poor season. In fact, he has driven me crazy. His defending has been shit, he lets players run right by him, and his passes are all backwards or lateral. In fact, only 33% of his forward passes are completed. Another stat to make Denilson look bad is that this past season he has had no goals OR assists. So much for our "Brazilian starlet". 
     At the end of the season, and to my delight, Denilson said this:
"This has been the worst season of my life and I am so upset, so frustrated. I am a winner and I came here to win trophies but I've been here for five years and won nothing. A footballer's career is over very quickly so it is time for me to move on. This is not a sudden decision. I made up my mind eight months ago. I was fed up of coming home and feeling down. But I haven't said anything until now because I did not want to disrupt the team during the season. And I haven't caused a big scene. I've simply been to see Arsene Wenger and told him how I felt and he's agreed to let me go. I know some people will think I am crazy. They are right. It is a great club with a great organisation, a great manager and so many talented players. Yes, I make a good living at Arsenal but other things in life are important. I need a fresh challenge and although I know I'm taking a big gamble I am ready to take that risk."

     So, he is leaving us. This is great news, because I thought he was a sorry excuse for a defensive midfielder and simply did not meet requirements. Sadly, it seems no one wants to sign Denilson. (Big surprise, eh?) His agent Gerardo Santiago dismissed rumors linking Denilson with AC Milan, and with no other offers on the table, it seems Denilson will spend another season with Arsenal. Sigh. Denilson's agent said this: 
     "Currently there are no negotiations, the only certainty right now is that Denilson will be at training with Arsenal on July 7."
Bloody fantastic.





7.  Abou Diaby - 


     Diaby, like Denilson, has had a very poor season. Diaby is Denilson's partner in the "substitute defensive midfielder" role, and they both have failed to impress. Diaby's low-light was when he was sent off in that match against Newcastle, which really fucked us over. It wasn't all his fault though, Phil Dowd helped him out.  However, unlike Denilson, Diaby is good. We have seen a very good Diaby, prior to his horrid injury at Sunderland. I still feel that side of Diaby can come back, but he struggles to find fitness. As a perfect example, Diaby is having surgery this summer, and therefore he will miss the beginning of the season.
     Regarding rumors, I've scanned the interweb and I have seen nothing... So, there.





8. Johann Djourou - 


    Two seasons ago, Djourou couldn't break into the first team, and when he did get a start, he made too many mistakes. Then, just last season, Squillaci got injured which forced Djourou into the first team. Djoruou played very well; he and Koscielny did much better than what many would expect. However, his form dropped later in the season, particularly when he was caught out multiple times on set pieces.
     Regarding transfer news, there is literally nothing... See you next season then Johann.





9. Craig Eastmond - 

    I'm not gonna lie to you - I'm not exactly sure how Craig did this past season. What I do know is that he didn't have the best season. He wasn't included in our preseason training, but Frimpong's injury allowed Eastmond to take part. In January, Eastmond was sent on loan to Millwall, and didn't have a brilliant season there either, when he broke his ankle in April.
    There are no rumors linking Eastmond away from the club at the moment. His future will be decided (whether he will go out on loan or sit the bench) during Arsenal's pre-season training and Asia tour.






10. Emmanuel Eboue - 

     Emmanuel Eboue. Quite the character to say the least. He hasn't had the best season, but he seems perfectly content with sitting the bench for the Gunners. His low point this season was easily the penalty he conceded against Liverpool. I'm not sure he had too many high points, but I suppose you could say he put in a solid performance against Barcelona during the home leg.
     There are currently no rumors linking Eboue away from the club.

________________________________________________________________________________




     In other news, you may remember me telling you how close Arsenal was to signing Argentinian midfielder Ricardo Alvarez from Velez Sarsfield. Well, I'm sorry to say that deal broken down, and Inter Milan has swiftly come in and finished the deal. 
     Once again, Arsenal's lack of ruthlessness in the transfer market has cost us. I'll have more on the matter later.




     Meanwhile, Gael Clichy has completed his move to Manchester City for a fee around 7 million. Some are upset at his departure, calling him greedy, and some are happy, saying that he has made too many mistakes. 
I believe Clichy did not leave completely for the money. I believe Clichy had decided that this was his last season at Arsenal before the start of the summer. He has loyally served the club for many years and has given everything he could every single game. The money that City offered him was just more incentive to go to Eastlands. It's time Clichy starts with a new challenge, and hopefully he will be able to find his best form there. Good luck Clichy, except when we play you!






     That's that for today. Tomorrow I'll have updates on JET, Fabianski, Fabregas, Frimpong, and Gibbs. I hope you liked the post, and encourage you to comment and leave your thoughts.

1 comment: