Monday, July 11, 2011

Mid-summer Transfer Round-up - Rosicky to Szczesny

     Today is July 11th, and the summer is about halfway over. Due to Arsenal's poor season, Arsene Wenger has been stressed to make new signings, but it's also important to let go of some players who give little to the side, and keep the players that are our prized assets.
     I'll be addressing all of our own player's transfer situations in alphabetical order. There are exactly 31 players in our first team, so I'll do five players per post. Today, I start with Rosicky. 



21. Tomas Rosicky - 
     I'm not a big fan of Rosicky. At the beginning of the season he and I were fine, but ever since he bombed his penalty to Jupiter at the Stadium of Light, out relationship has gone down hill. However, I did let out a small grin when he scored at Orient. "Rosicky ends his goal drought with a header from the penalty spot? Piss off. You've got to be kidding!" I said. There's no doubt Rosicky is a fantastic player and is very intelligent, but he no longer has the quality to break into the first team. That being said, he is a good bench player, and has come in handy when others have been out injured. I'd just like Tomas a lot more if he'd cut his hair. 
     I used to hate Rosicky, but now I don't. I'm not sure why. Perhaps it's because I haven't seen him play in a while! Heh. But whether I like him or not, Arsenal needs him, in case of emergency, and FA Cup and Carling Cup matches. Arsene Wenger seems to agree with me, as couple weeks ago he told Rosicky he had no intention of selling him: 

     "I don’t want to go somewhere where I would have it easier and where even the ordinary life would be easier for me. I want to achieve something with Arsenal.
     On Monday, I am starting pre-season with Arsenal. Before vacation I was speaking with coach Wenger and he told me he counted on my services and that there was no intention of selling me."
     See you next season Rosicky!






22. Bacary Sagna - 
     Sagna! I love him. Who doesn't? He seems like a great lad. He gives his all for the club, and has had a fantastic season. His crossing has improved, he's scored two goals this past season, and his tackling has been spot on. Like I said before, (in some other post on the blog) if Jack didn't have the fantastic season he did, Sagna would have deserved the award. Sagna has been the definition of consistency. A true asset to the club, and one we should do our best to hold onto.
     Regarding transfers, Sagna is staying, and said this:
      "I have a very good feeling playing with this team. I am convinced a lot of French players want to be in my position but it's true. Everything is possible, but I can say I'm now at Arsenal 99 per cent."
     Good to hear. So far this blog post has gone well! Two players who want to stay and win! 





23. Alexander Song - 
     
     For the first couple months of the season I was not impressed with Song. He thought he was Cesc Fabregas at times when he wasn't, and would leave our defense naked, yearning for some clothing. However, as the months went by, Song began to learn his rightful position and the positioning of that position. Song has had a good season and perhaps we wouldn't have had such a disappointing year had Song been fit for the entire season. Also, he is the only defensive midfielder we have, and needs some competition for that role. 
     There aren't any rumors linking Song away from the club. The only thing one could worry over is the fact that Song could face up to two years of jail time. Yep. Not kidding. I'm not scared really, the whole story is probably a result of some guy that wants attention. But if he actually goes to jail, I'll only have one response: WTF?





24. Sebastian Squillaci - 

     By far our best performer of the season. Played the offside trap to perfection, always anticipated danger, never scored own goals, and never, ever headed his own team mates in the head. Oh, wait...
     Well, that was a perfect description of Squillaci, no? I'm desperate to hold onto him, and thankfully no offers have been made, however the interest in Samba and Cahill suggest he could be on his way out. If he goes I'll be distraught. He and Koscielny in the back were a brick wall!





25. Woijcech Szczesny - 


     When Szczensy first started to get some attention and I started to write about him, I had to look online a million times how to spell his name before I had it memorized. What a pain in the ass that was. Anyway, young Woijcech has made an unbelievable amount of progress in the past year. On February 13th, 2010, Szczesny played in a match between Brentford and Wycombe in League One. On February 16th, 2011, Szczesny played in our match against Barcelona at the Emirates. Quite a leap! Szczesny isn't perfect though, he still has work to do, especially on his positioning which he has been caught out on numerous times.But, he's one of the best young goalkeepers in the world, and has the potential to be the outright best one day. And, he gets jobs done that Arsenal fans can't.
     There aren't any rumors linking SzczesnySzczesny would have a real battle for places with Fabianski and Gordon, if he came. 


     That's that for today. Tomorrow I'll have updates on Traore, Van Persie, Vela, Vermaelen, Walcott, and Wilshere - it will be the last installment of the Mid-summer Transfer Round-up. I hope you liked the post, and encourage you to comment and leave your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment