Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Wenger's silly bias - Lansbury and Bartley must get a chance


     A football club is not a family, but a business. All the same, there are indeed feelings that the fans feel towards the players and the club, there is no doubt in that. So in most cases (excluding Denilson), a fan doesn't like it when a player is rumored to leave for another club.
     That's how I feel right now with rumors linking Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, Rhys Murphy, and Henri Lansbury away from the club. But sadly, my feelings don't matter. This is all business.

     The reason why I mention football as a business is because that is the main reason why Rhys Murphy will probably leave the club. He is 20 now, and while that is still a young age, it's a little old for the reserve squad in Arsenal terms. The U18 squad is a fantastic group of players, and it seems that a clear out of the reserves is to make room for the U18's to step up. Rhys will have a trial in a few days at Middlesbrough, and if he does well enough he will probably leave us.

     Jay Emmanuel-Thomas has been quite a "famous" reserve player for us, after the spectacular goals he scored against Everton reserves and Hull City. His skill is undoubted, but his attitude is where he lacks. He is Arsenal's longest serving player, but even after all these years he hasn't sufficiently changed. Arsenal is not a club that tolerates bad behavior, which has led JET to leave the club. A fee of 1.1 million pounds has been agreed between Arsenal and Ipswich Town for Jay, and he will leave the club soon enough. It's a shame that he won't make it at Arsenal with his talent, but to be a professional footballer you have to take your chances when they come along and listen to those above you. He hasn't done that, and will have to restart his career at Ipswich, when he could have made a career at Arsenal had he sorted his attitude problems. JET's potential is undoubted, so I'm sure he can become a great player, and may even make Arsenal regret selling him just like Bendtner (although he hasn't been sold yet). Ta, JET.

     That brings us to Henri Lansbury. He spent last season on loan at Norwich City, where he did well, and scored a fantastic goal at White Hart Lane for Arsenal during the Carling Cup which I'm sure he will never forget.
     There are rumors going around that Lansbury will be sold, or that he is weighing up his future. Norwich recently made a 1.5 million pound bid for Lansbury, but this bid was rejected by Arsenal. Even so, there is a feeling going around that Henri may leave. There was also speculation that Lansbury would be offered in a deal with Bolton for Gary Cahill.
     This disappointing transfer speculation wasn't helped by Lansbury's tweet that suggested he would have a change in his life. Conveniently for me, he deleted the tweet. Lovely.
     To be honest, I think it's absurd if Arsenal sells Henri. Denilson was shit last season, and Arsenal fans were fed up with him very early. Denilson got chance after chance, and never proved himself. Unlike Denilson, Lansbury has heart, drive, and a great right foot. He should be given the chance to prove himself, which I think he can.
     Perhaps Wenger is more eager to give Denilson a chance is because he brought Denilson in, and looked to be a player with great potential. Maybe Wenger feels that if Denilson fails, it reflects poorly on him. Selfishness? Maybe. But I hope not.


     And speaking of players not getting a chance, attention is immediately directed towards Kyle Bartley.
     Last season Kyle was sent on loan to Sheffield United, where he made 23 appearances. He then broke his cheekbone, and missed a month of action. By the end of the January transfer window though, he was sent on loan to Rangers. There, he wasn't a first team regular, but did make 9 appearances, three of which were in Europe. He even scored for Rangers, a headed goal in a 1-0 win over St. Mirren.
     Bartley was called up to play some big matches too, such as an Old Firm Derby, and matches against Sporting Lisbon and PSV. All big games for the Kyle and Scottish outfit, but matches that he performed very well in.
     While Rangers isn't the strongest side, they are still a very good team and a big club. They have a huge fan base, and I can only imagine the amount of pressure on a player before and during an Old Firm Derby - arguably the biggest rivalry in the world of sports. Arsenal players tend to have problems in high pressure situations, and I won't mention any. *coughcarlingcupfinalcough* Bartley has matured and gained loads of experience, and at only 20 years old could be a real asset to the club. I highly doubt he would prove to be more mistake prone than Squillaci or Djourou, so that in itself could be a huge bonus.
     Bartley only has one more year on his contract, and while letting him get one more year at Rangers would be good for his experience, he may wish to make a career there and leave Arsenal. In my opinion, Arsenal would regret this. Like Bendtner, Bartley has great potential but has fallen out of favor. Both of them may leave the club, and I feel that if they do, we will regret their departures. However, Bartley is also rumored with a move to Burnley and Crystal Palace, which is fairly understandable. Playing in England would allow Wenger to keep a closer eye on him - that was why Vela went on loan to West Brom vs. a Spanish club.
     Anyway, back to Bartley - while Wenger has made Miquel his "favorite" young center back, Bartley has more potential than Miquel and the two of them can make for a fantastic pairing in the future. It's odd to say this, but Wenger must look towards the future. Bartley can become a fantastic defender, and while I don't expect him to play every other game this season if he stays, I believe 15-20 appearances for Kyle would do him justice. Bartley said himself he can offer the squad a lot:
     “If I’m honest, I don’t think I was anywhere near the level to play for Arsenal last season, but I've come back, I feel really strong and I feel that I am ready now. 
     I learned the demands of being at a top football club who are trying to win things and how important it is to be a champion and a winner. Every time you step on the pitch, you are going out there to win so there is a lot of pressure on you.

     I think I can offer something else [because] I am a little bit different to the other centre-backs. I like the physical side of the game and I see myself as a leader. If Arsene decides that he wants me in the first team then that will be fantastic.
 
     He has said he doesn't want me going on loan yet and he hasn't made his mind up. My hopes are the same as every year, to be an Arsenal first-team player. Hopefully, this year, that will happen."
    Those are very strong words from Kyle, but words that he had every right to make, and I'm happy he did. I believe him to an extent: of course every player would think they're ready to make the step up. You only know if you're "ready" when you're "there", if you understand what I'm trying to say.
     He said that Wenger hadn't made his mind up on whether or not he will send Bartley on loan yet, which is interesting. I think the only reason why Bartley's future is undecided is because Jagielka and Cahill's futures aren't. I interpret this situation like this: Bartley hasn't been sent on loan yet because we haven't signed a center back yet. Once we do, perhaps Bartley will be sent on loan.
     The only scenario in which Arsene signs a center back and Bartley stays is if Squillaci leaves, or one of our center backs get injured by the end of the Emirates Cup. Sadly, I don't see either of those things happening. With Bendtner, Eboue, Denilson, and Almunia on their way out, for Squillaci to leave as well would be something else - regardless of the fact Squillaci consistently makes mistakes.
     So, it sadly seems Bartley will not be given a chance this season, which could lead to his departure. A departure that could forever sting Arsenal fans on "what could have been".


     To conclude this fairly depressing post, I make one last point. While we all know Wenger is big on youth, it seems he puts a priority on those that he had a hand in bringing to the club. That if those he brought in succeed, he succeeds as well.
     We also know that Wenger is a stubborn man. This could be why Bartley may not get his chance at Arsenal despite many Arsenal and Rangers fans rate him highly. I myself would rather have him than Squillaci, and arguably Djourou as well.

     Good luck to JET at Ipswich, and good luck to Murphy at Middelsbrough where I doubt he will fail to impress. Either way, a move for him is inevitable. All I really want is for Lansbury and Bartley to stay. The former to get at least one more year on loan with Norwich, and the latter to stay with us this upcoming season, which is creeping up on us fast - Just 2.5 weeks until kickoff!

     Should JET stay longer? Should Lansbury stay with Arsenal and not go on loan? Should Bartley get his chance? Drop a comment! Let me know your thoughts. You can comment below as "Anonymous" if you don't already have a Google account or whatever other options they have down there. 


11 comments:

  1. You read my mind. We need the young players who really want to fight, even when things look bad. This is one of the things we have lacked the last years. Champions have there working bees. We had Parlour, who was not the most gifted, but ALWAYS a hard worker. MUFC have O'Shea and Fletcher.

    But yet, we hang on to Diaby, and get rid of the talent who can really offer the right spirit. Why? If Bartley is sold, it may be one of the biggest transfer mistakes Wenger has ever made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only 'silly bias' here is the tired, witless assumption that English players inherently have more 'fight' or 'spirit' and that AW somehow favours imported youth. Come on, Bartley, Lansbury, Ebecilio, Afobe, Miquel: all good prospects that AW works with and knows better than we ever could. They can't all make it and most of them won't. Wenger bought Bartley for God's sake, why would he have some mysterious prejudice against him ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "Wenger knows best"-assumption i much worse. Doesn't quite fit with reality. He has made several poor decisions, especially from a tactical point of view.

    Bartley performed well at Sheff. U and Rangers. He's young, powerful, he fights, and his defensive awareness has improved quite much. Yet Wenger hangs on to the LOUSY Squid. But he knows best, right??

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think lansbury deservs his chance at arsenal,i do believe he is our futre because he has everything you need plus i believe he is a winner and great character and will drive your team with his work ethic and inspire hias team mates.lookingfoward to see miguel,afobe,bartley,hope they get a chance,i think this isbig part of future

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll start by naming the players that wont change a thing if sold or go for free,almunia, eboue, squilacci,denilson, diaby,rosicky, arshavin,bendtner and chamakh, as for eboue we have carl,squilacci we have bartley, denilson we have frimpong, diaby we have afobe, rosicky we have lansbury the others we can replace by buying new players such as mata for arshavin n stoke city striker walters for both chamakh n bendtner thing if sold or go for free,almunia, eboue, squilacci,denilson, diaby,rosicky, arshavin,bendtner and chamakh, as for eboue we have carl,squilacci we have bartley, denilson we have frimpong, diaby we have afobe, rosicky we have lansbury the others we can replace by buying new players such as mata for arshavin n stoke city striker walters for both chamakh n bendtner

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Everybody, My name is.Mrs.Juliet Quin. I live in Canada and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $ 73,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $ 73,000.00 Canada Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs.Juliet Quin that refer you to him. Contact Dr Purva Pius via email: reply to email (urgentloan22@gmail.com)


    LOAN APPLICATION FORM:
    =================
    Full Name:................
    Loan Amount Needed:.
    Purpose of loan:.......
    Loan Duration:..
    Gender:.............
    Marital status:....
    Location:..........
    Home Address:..
    City:............
    Country:......
    Phone:..........
    Mobile / Cell:....
    Occupation:......
    Monthly Income:....

    Contact Us At :urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 U.S. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com)Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you in need of a loan? Do you want to pay off your bills? Do you want to be financially stable? All you have to do is to contact us for more information on how to get started and get the loan you desire. This offer is open to all that will be able to repay back in due time. Note-that repayment time frame is negotiable and at interest rate of 3% just email us creditloan.11@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. my name is Mrs.Rachel Alex from singapore few months back i was financially strained i rushed to my bank to apply for a loan to start up my business but i was denied by my bank because of my credit score and they could not help and due to my desperation i was scammed by several online lenders who promised to help me but at the end i was scam i lost my money and my hope because i was so frustrated, One day when i was going through the internet again i found one lender call Mrs.Irene Query i thought to give it a try one more time to my biggest surprise she was able to lend me a secure loan totally the amount of $300,000 for the first time in my life i realize that there are few lender who don't scam people her name is Mrs.Irene Query i will advice any body that are in need of loan to contact him with his Email (mrsirenequery@gmail.com) he can be able to help you because he was a God sent to me this year and i will never forget him for the help he render to me. contact him via email:(mrsirenequery@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My Brothers and Sister all over the world, I am Mrs Boo Wheat from Canada ; i was in need of loan some month ago. i needed a loan to open my restaurant and bar, when one of my long time business partner introduce me to this good and trustful loan lender DR PURVA PIUS that help me out with a loan, and is interest rate is very low , thank God today. I am now a successful business woman, and I became useful. In the life of others, I now hold a restaurant and bar. And about 30 workers, thank GOD for my life I am leaving well today a happy father with three kids, thanks to you DR PURVA PIUS Now I can take care of my lovely family, i can now pay my bill. I am now the bread winner of my family. If you are look for a trustful and reliable loan leader. You can Email him via,mail (urgentloan22@gmail.com) Please tell him Mrs Boo Wheat from Canada introduce you to him. THANKS

    ReplyDelete